Image

Image
Welcome. Toss a blanket down, sit for a while under the willow, relax, and enjoy what's written below.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Interview With Rebecca Graf

Today I am honored to have the talented writer, Rebecca Graf, visit the Willow Tree. I know Rebecca personally and know how much she loves what she does from honing an idea to publishing her book. I hope you will join me and enjoy her visit. Welcome Rebecca.


.

What are you currently working on and when do you plan to release your next book?
I’m working on a first draft of a fantasy novel that I’m co-writing with a friend as well as going on to the second draft of the last of the Deep Connections trilogy. My next book will be out by the end of the year: The Nightingale in the Garden which is a children’s religious book about the Garden of Gethsemane.

Do you have a favorite genre for your writing or do you write whatever moves you?
I’ve been told I have to stick with one genre. I might migrate to one, but for now I write whatever moves me. Sometimes my story morphs into one I didn’t expect and crosses entire genre lines. LOL That is a load of fun.

What is the best piece of advice you were given about writing?
Just do it. I heard that from several people, and I did it. I found myself loving it more than I realized I would. For years I shied away from it because I felt that you had to have this spectacular gift that your teachers noted in school. No one commented on my writing. When it came to creative writing, they patted me on the head and moved on. I figured I didn’t have it in me.

Do you have a special spot where you like to write or are you a “have lap top will travel” writer?
I’ll write anywhere, but I have to have quiet. I can’t write with noise around me unless I’m in a coffee shop or something where I know none of the conversation is for me. Then it is easy, but around home I have to have complete quiet which doesn’t happen often.

What is your favorite book and favorite author?
I don’t know if I have one favorite book. My latest favorite is The Adventures of Tilda Pinkerton that I read for a book review. Authors? Oh, my. There is not one favorite. I love Amanda Quick, Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Aiden James, Angela Shelton, and many more. They are different genres and sometimes it depends on mood who my favorite is. Oh, Edgar Allen Poe has to be mentioned.


When did you discover your passion for writing?
For years I felt the urge to write. I would tell myself that I had stories to tell, but then I would remind myself that my talent didn’t lie there. Those thoughts wouldn’t leave me though. It was when I became a virtual assistant to an author that I found myself writing. The first stuff was garbage, but from there it advanced. I started getting paid for my writing. That was so cool.

Do you have a favorite beverage or snack you must have while writing?
I love to drink hot tea because most of the time I am in the cold basement working, but I commonly turn the tea into ice tea.

What inspires you?
A new idea, but most of all it is a feeling of accomplishment. I get into a rut and full uninspired. Then someone out of the blue tells me how much they enjoyed my book. That brightens my day and gets me wanting to write again.

Do you have a favorite vacation destination and do you write while vacationing?
I honestly hardly ever vacation. We’ve always struggled with finances with such a large family. A few weeks ago, I took a mini vacation with my mother-in-law and her sister-in-law to the lake. I spent the whole time writing and reading. They complained that I wasn’t relaxing, but it was relaxing to me. It was the best time.

Do you have any advice for other writers on any subject you choose?
The best advice I can give is to forget what others say and just write, but also don’t get so full of  yourself that you think your first draft is a masterpiece. It is probably garbage. That is why you have fun going back over it and turning it into something that others can enjoy. Also, be open to constructive criticism. It can be really helpful. On the other hand, if someone is mean, avoid them. Their opinion doesn’t matter anyway.

Any last thoughts you would like to add?
Don’t let anything stand in your way of writing. Don’t let the excuses you make derail you. Sit down and let your muse dictate.

Rebecca's Links:

 Facebook













3 comments:

  1. Great interview! I added Rebecca's book to my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview. I don't know who told you, you should stick with one genre, but I don't agree and glad you write how your muse moves you too. :)

    ReplyDelete